My ‘Surf and Turf’ – Lamb, Scallops and Cauliflower
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 native ginger or galangal stems, bottom section only
- 5cm piece young ginger
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 1 bird’s eye red chilli, chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 sprigs curry leaf, leaves picked
- 6 coriander roots, cleaned
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Laksa Paste
- 6 sprigs curry leaf, leaves picked
- 400g coconut cream
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 – 2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste
- 1 – 2 tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 8 scallops
- 2 tbsp ghee
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 400g lamb backstrap, trimmed
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup salt flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to season
- ½ cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
Curry Leaf Gremolata
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 sprigs curry leaf, leaves picked
- 2 slices sourdough
- 4 tbsp ghee
- salt and pepper to taste
- bean sprouts
- reserved crispy curry leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Laksa Paste, place the ingredients into a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- For the Laksa Sauce, place the oil into a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the Laksa Paste and cook, stirring, until golden and aromatic. Add the curry leaves and stir for 1 minute. Reduce the heat low.
- Add the coconut cream, palm sugar and 1 tablespoon fish sauce and stir to combine. Simmer the sauce until reduced slightly and the flavours have developed, about 15 minutes. Strain sauce through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and adjust seasoning with lime juice and additional fish sauce, to taste. Reheat gently to serve.
- For the Lamb, place vinegar, salt and ½ water into a bowl and stir until salt has dissolved. Add the lamb and set aside for 30 minutes to brine.
- Remove the lamb from the brine and pat dry with paper towel.
- When ready to serve, place a medium pan over medium heat. Add the oil and when hot, add the lamb and fry until browned and the internal temperature reaches 50C or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the pan and set aside on a clean chopping board to rest for 10 minutes before slicing to serve. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the Cauliflower, place ingredients onto a tray and toss together. Bake in the oven until cauliflower is golden and caramelised, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For the Curry Leaf Gremolata, place the oil into a medium frypan over medium heat. Add the curry leaves and cook until they pop and sizzle. Remove from the pan. Reserve ¼ of the leaves for garnish and place the remainder into a food processor.
- Tear the bread and place into a food processor with the crispy curry leaves. Pulse to a crumb.
- Wipe out the pan with paper towel and return the pan to a medium heat. Add the ghee and when hot, add the crumb and cook until toasted and golden. Remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the Scallops, place the ghee into a small frypan and place over high heat. Once hot, season the scallops and place into the pan. Cook for 1 minute, pressing firmly down for 10 seconds to ensure they are caramelise evenly. Baste the scallops with ghee on uncooked side until just cooked through. Remove from the pan and place into serving bowls.
- Top with a portion of Lamb, some Cauliflower and Curry Leaf Gremolata. Garnish with bean sprouts and reserved crispy curry leaves. Serve with Laksa Sauce on the side.