- 12 feijoas, peeled
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp glucose syrup
- citric acid, to taste
- 1 ½ cups plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 150g cold salted butter, diced
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 egg yolks
Dark Chocolate Filling
- 150g 70% dark chocolate callets, melted
- 150ml cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 30g butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- sliced feijoa
- fennel fronds
- Pre-chill ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl. Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Feijoa Sorbet, place the peeled feijoas into a food processor and process to a puree. Set aside.
- Place the sugar, glucose and ½ cup water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook until syrup is thick but not coloured, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the feijoa puree and a pinch of citric acid, to taste.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool. Pour into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Chocolate Pastry, place ingredients, except egg yolks, into the bowl of a food processor and process to a fine crumb. Add the egg yolks one at a time and pulse until a ball of dough forms. Remove from the food processor, press into a disc and wrap in cling film. Set aside in the fridge for 10 minutes to rest.
- Lightly dust a clean bench with extra flour. Unwrap the dough and roll out to a thickness of 2-3 mm. Place four 8cm round x 2cm deep pastry rings onto a lined baking tray. Line the moulds with the pastry and trim the excess using a small sharp knife.
- Place into the freezer until cold, about 5 minutes. Line each tart shell with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Carefully remove the paper and pastry weights and set the tart shells aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180C.
- For the Filling, place ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together until well combined.
- Spoon into the tart shells and bake until the middle is set and doesn’t wobble when slightly shaken, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Set aside to cool slightly then carefully transfer the tarts to a wire rack and place into the fridge to set.
- To serve, remove the ring moulds from the tarts. Serve with fresh feijoa slices, fennel fronds and a scoop of Feijoa Sorbet.